Bernards, NJ – Among the Best Places to Raise a Family
Bernards Township, situated in Somerset County, is a suburban enclave of New York City with a population of 27,836. Renowned as one of New Jersey's premier places to reside, Bernards Township offers its residents a tranquil suburban ambiance, and the majority of its populace are homeowners. The community boasts a wealth of coffee shops and parks, enhancing its appeal. With a significant number of families calling Bernards Township home, the overall atmosphere tends to be conservative-leaning. Additionally, the public schools in Bernards Township consistently receive high ratings, further elevating its reputation as an excellent place to live.
Bernards Township's origins trace back to a royal charter granted on May 24, 1760, under the name Bernardston Township. This township was established from the remaining portions of the Northern precinct. Later, on February 21, 1798, it was officially incorporated as Bernards Township through an act of the New Jersey Legislature, becoming one of the original 104 townships in the state. Over time, sections of the township were carved out to create Warren Township (March 5, 1806), Far Hills (April 7, 1921), and Bernardsville (March 6, 1924). In May 2010, Bernards Township commemorated its 250th charter anniversary, marking a rich history of community development.
The township was named for Sir Francis Bernard, 1st Baronet, who served as governor of the Province of New Jersey.
Reasons to move to Bernards, NJ.
Bernards Township, NJ, offers a mix of charming suburban life, stunning nature, and convenient access to major cities, making it a desirable place to live for various reasons. Here are some potential reasons to consider moving to Bernards:
Nature Lovers Paradise:
- Rolling hills and green spaces: Bernards boasts stunning scenery with rolling hills, farmland, and parks like the Lord Stirling Park Reserve and Black Brook Park, offering hiking, biking, and nature walks.
- Proximity to the Delaware Water Gap: Enjoy stunning hikes, water sports, and scenic drives just a short drive away at the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.
- Peaceful and quiet: Escape the hustle and bustle of city life and enjoy the tranquility of Bernards' rural charm.
- Award-winning schools: Bernards Township public schools consistently rank among the best in New Jersey, providing excellent educational opportunities for families.
- Safe and nurturing environment: The close-knit community and low crime rate create a safe and supportive environment for children to thrive.
- Variety of educational options: Besides public schools, Bernards also offers private schools and academies catering to diverse learning styles and needs.
Convenient Location and Amenities:
- Close proximity to major cities: Enjoy easy access to New York City and Philadelphia for work, entertainment, and cultural events.
Major roads serving Bernanrds Township include Interstate 78, Interstate 287 and U.S. Route 202
- Thriving local community: Bernards offers a charming downtown area with vibrant shops, restaurants, and cafes, providing all the necessary amenities within reach.
- Strong infrastructure: Excellent transportation options with access to major highways and reliable public transportation services.
NJ Transit train service is available at the Basking Ridge station and Lyons station on the Gladstone Branch, providing service between Gladstone and Hoboken Terminal.
NJ Transit provides local bus service on the MCM8 route.
Lakeland Bus Lines provides Route 78 rush-hour service from Bedminster to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Midtown Manhattan.
- Active community events: Numerous family-friendly festivals, fairs, and recreational programs foster a strong sense of community and belonging.
- Safe neighborhoods: Bernards offers safe and quiet neighborhoods perfect for raising children, with plenty of green spaces and playgrounds.
- Strong sense of community: Residents in Bernards are known for their welcoming spirit and active engagement in community events and activities.
Beyond these general reasons, Bernards might also appeal to specific demographics:
- Professionals: Easy access to major cities and a strong business climate make Bernards ideal for professionals seeking a convenient and thriving community.
- Retirees: The peaceful environment, stunning nature, and close-knit community offer a serene and active lifestyle for retirees.
- Outdoor enthusiasts: Hiking, biking, fishing, and water sports opportunities in Bernards and nearby areas cater to those who love the outdoors.
Ultimately, the best way to know if Bernards is right for you is to visit and experience its charm firsthand. Weighing your priorities and lifestyle preferences against the benefits Bernards offers will help you make the best decision for your future home.
If you are considering moving to Bernards, NJ, reach out to us here. Our team is ready to engage with you, discussing your preferences, budget, and more, to assist you in finding the perfect home in Bernards, NJ. Your dream home awaits!